I would like your opinion and feedback on this issue

Politics, religion, racism, sex, the weather... there's always lots to think about so there's always lots to talk about. Progressive ideas are encouraged but all opinions are welcome.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
bingolong
King of the Smilies

I would like your opinion and feedback on this issue

Post by bingolong »

Deli Customer Shocked To Read His Ticket

A Chattanooga man says he was shocked when he saw what was written on his lunch ticket Friday.

Otis Elliott says when he saw "negro to-go" written on his ticket, he didn't even wait around to get his order.

Elliott says he did talk to the owner of the Deli Man and Cake Lady, but she never apologized.

He says she later brought him a sack of goodies.

Elliott just works a few doors down at Total Image.

He tells Channel Three Eyewitness News, "You treat everyone the same, I want to be treated like the next person, but this was a shock, I ain't never seen nothing like this here."

Elliott says he wishes the owner would have talked with him and employee who wrote the ticket.

Elliott says the man who took his order is Hispanic. Elliott also says he knows that "negro" means black in spanish, but he adds that it is still offensive.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/videowindow.cfm?sid=2572 - Check out the news footage'
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: I would like your opinion and feedback on this issue

Post by tamra »

bingolong,

hey, hard to say if intentional or just how someone was raised ignant.

but that couldn't have been me, I would have wrote back on ticket "motherfucker who won't pay and never return to spend my $$" @.@
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
tis2flyyy

Post by tis2flyyy »

bingolong,
Seeing as though I USED to solve things like this by asking the punk azz bee-yotch to step outside, I would have broken my 9 months of peaceful and nice attitude and opened a can of woop azz on him.

So, in the future, when he wanted to call someone negro, he will be thinking about the azz kicking that he got.

Also, I would sue the holy crap out of that establishment. They would be tied up in a discrimination suit messing around wit' Big T. & The Deli placed would either be re-named to Big T Fressh azz Sandwiches or it would be shut the phuck down.
Where is the LOVE?
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

deepseas, people are by nature if not educated ethnocentric and predjudiced, I'd say latino's have their own predjudices they held before moving to america.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

deepseas, that is true, but it kinds of seems that would mean America is more racist and corrupt then other countries. When human nature seems to be all goverments and countries are corrupt and racist to varying degree's. I'd say compared to say Mexico we are less corrupt and ethnocentric.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

though we are probably more racist then most other devolped countries for sure.
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com
Appaloosa

Post by Appaloosa »

bingolong,
i dont think this man reported this as a matter of the person being prejudiced at this restaurant.....because if he is just ignorant that does not matter ....if i was his employer i would fire him...that is the bottom line.....for that would be reason to fire him for being prejudiced an that would reflect on the employer an the restaurant....they can be sued for this behaviour.....an it can be worse if the employer keeps the person working to be prejudiced to another patron.....if it was me as the employer i would have fired him on the spot an apoligized to the patron....if he has said such things then it is up to the judge an jury but if he had written such things then it is much easier to prove in a court of law
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

....okay here is some info I omitted and also some that I think the report omitted.

I worked right down the block from this place and would visit quite often when I wanted to eat healthy (and had the money to afford the food)I have been going there a few years and made connections with the white people, the black people (who I would usually have a mutual friend with and would see out and about) and the Hispanics.....I am talking the kind that might have been here maybe only a few years Hispanic....I am talking about barely can speak English Hispanic...

I frequent that place enough that when I went in there a few weeks ago one of the Hispanic guys knew what I would want to order based on the daily specials.Nice guys to say the least.

...now here is why I posted this....knowing the Hispanic guys I am pretty sure they meant no harm...but in America this not only could be taken as racist or at aleast a good way to get your food spit in.

I am thinking the issue here is more cultural than anything.Now we all know Negro is Spanish for Black.Should the Hispanic guy have used that word to describe the black person on the sales slip? Maybe that works in Middle America but not in the United States of America.

Granted I think the manager should have handled it better but I think America has fucked up People, (blacks or negroes in general) so much we whine at anything that out of the way.

So my real issue is cultural ignorance on both sides.....and the fact that America has got people extra uptight about race.. I mean does the word http://www.uncf.org/ - NEGRO' always have to be used in a negative way?

[/i].....However, in Spanish language countries such as Argentina, Chile and Cuba, negro (negra for females) is a word commonly usually used to refer to friends or people in general, and does not have a racist connotation. For example, one may say to a friend, "Oye, negrito. ¿Como estás?" Literally, that translates as, "Hey, black man, how are you doin'?" Here, "negro" is used in its diminutive form "negrito", as a term of endearment meaning "pal", or "buddy" or "friend." "Negrito" has come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to "sweetheart," or "dear" in English........[/i]- Wikipedia

....America is fucked up...... b.b
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me!