The Journey Of My 'Pryor Convictions' book.

Tell us why you love Richard Pryor so much. Send Richard your love messages.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
rleon

The Journey Of My 'Pryor Convictions' book.

Post by rleon »

21 January 2007 - Dave Chappelle

It wasn’t just a regular performance but it was a fund raiser for a local school. The ticket went on sale last week but I missed it. So I ended up going on eBay to try to find some decent tickets. And I did section 5 row T seats 1 and 2 which was perfect right on the aisle.

The mission: to have Dave sign my Richard Pryor autographed book. The goal has always been to have Dave Chappelle and George Lopez sign on the same page as Richard Pryor. Since I have not heard about Dave doing any stand up in Dallas I knew that this was going to be one of my only opportunities.

After getting to the theater I realized that this was going to be easier said then done. Security was tight. They didn’t even allow pictures to be taken and the users made it their duty to make sure that rule was up held. After Dave got on stage he made a few jobs about cameras and it did seem like he had a problem with flash photography

The first thing I tried to do was clearly to try to get back stage. I tried to talk my way backstage but I was told to wait after the show and they would see what they could do. Lynell even gave it a try with no luck. She even joked about beating someone on and taking their backstage pass. Unfortunately the goal was not to end up in jail. :)
When the show started everyone was excited to see Dave C. on stage. He was really good and was dropping F bombs right and left and just had a really good cuss word filled set.

He got on stage around 11pm and it was getting close to midnight. I knew that he was almost done with his set and I had to try to make my way to the stage. I also know that he loves Richard Pryor and that if he saw the book that he would want to sign it. When it was clear that he was ending his set I rushed to the stage.

For a second I thought I timed it wrong because when I made it to the stage he was in the process of walking off. But I held up my book and called out “Dave, Dave!!” I got his attention and he even did a double take. He noticed the cover and knew exactly what I was holding up. He made his way towards me and I opened up the book and showed him the Richard Pryor signature. He looked at me and said “Damn Man”.

I handed him the book and my sharpie and he got on one knee and then he took a couple of seconds just look at the Pryor signature. To me it appeared like he got just a little taken back by the request to sign next to Proyor. Then he pointed to the page that the signature was on to confirm that I wanted him to sign that same page. After he signed it I thanked him and I told him that Pryor was one of a kind. Then Dave pounded on his heart as a jester that he had much love for Pryor. I returned the jester and shook his hand and thanked him again.

It was clear that he was very happy to sign the book for me. There was another guy there and he asked me if he could borrow my sharpie so Dave could sign a hundred dollar bill. But there was hesitation on Dave’s side but since he was already on one knee he signed the bill.

Unfortunately I was not able to get a picture taken because it all happened so fast. But it doesn’t matter since I don’t plan on selling the book.
rleon

Re: The Journey Of My 'Pryor Convictions' book.

Post by rleon »

George Lopez was in town again this year for two shows. Friday May 4th and Sunday May 6th 2006. And I was lucky enough to get tickets for both shows.

The Friday show was really good and everyone had a good time. Unfortunately I was not able to even get close to the stage to even try to get my book autographed. But it was cool because I knew I had another chance on Sunday.

Sunday I went again and the seats where great! Section 104 row B. It turns out that there is no row A in section 104 so we ended up sitting on the front row!
Once again I had my Richard Pryor book and my goal was to get good ole G-Lo to sign it. Since we where on the front row I felt really confident that I would be able to make it happen.

The show Sunday was really good too. He actually performed different material from Friday which was good for me. During the middle of the show he was standing in front of me and I slightly held up the book. He immediately noticed it …

And said “Hey what-cha got there?”
I replied “My Richard Pryor book and I would like you to autograph it for me”.
I walked up to the end of the stage and he responded
“Hell yeah, But I thought you where going to give it to me?”
I told him “No, why do you want one?”
He said “No, I already have one.”
I handed him my book and my sharpie and showed him where Dave Chappelle had singed and where I would like him to sign. He took my book and sharpie and signed it perfectly in the middle. Then he asked what my name was .. I told him “Richard.”
After that I shook his hand and thanked him I turned around held the book up and crowd cheered.

He continued the show and said ..
“Richard huh, see we all know your real name is Ricardooooo”
Then he added, “We all need to keep our Mexican names”.
And he continued with a bit about Mexican names and white names.

I have to admit that the comment he made kind of made me think. I thought about it and I came to the conclusion that I started going by Richard when a teacher decided to start calling me Richard instead of Ricardo. But really that is a different story.

This was really another great weekend ! And surely one for the books.

Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

rleon,
Kewl story Ricardo!!!
Jennifer!
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

rleon,
Thanks for sharing!!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
rleon

Post by rleon »

Chris Rock is next !!!
He will be here next week .. I am ready !!