Alternate takes / recordings?

Tell us why you love Richard Pryor so much. Send Richard your love messages.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
Gagarin

Alternate takes / recordings?

Post by Gagarin »

Love Richard and his material.

I was wondering why the concert films and the albums of the same show are often different recordings / performances than each other - or they're re-edited?

Also, I was wondering if his Sunset Strip or his Here and Now material had been recorded from other performances in smaller clubs or venues, or like when he was working the material up at The Comedy Store.

Love the box sets and anthology albums, but I can't get enough! Especially any of Richard's last times up.

Jennifer, there's die hard fans who would eat this stuff up!

Hope Richard's business causes are going well!
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Re: Alternate takes / recordings?

Post by bingolong »

Gagarin,
Welcome to the site!!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
Reg_Man_98

Post by Reg_Man_98 »

Gagarin,

As you guessed, the albums are usually different performances than the ones that are in the films. The album "Wanted/Richard Pryor - Live In Concert" had been released a couple of months before "Live In Concert" was even filmed. Most of the "Sunset Strip" album was recorded before the performances caught in the film. The album and film "Here And Now" was recorded during the same run of gigs in New Orleans. Between the two, some are the same, and some aren't. Hope this helps!
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

Reg_Man_98,

Thank you Reggie for that clarification: and thank god for you---you are always there to keep it clear and straight re: RP's recordings!
I am so grateful for that!