I'm gonna miss Letterman!

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

I'm gonna miss Letterman!

Post by tamra »

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/dav ... e-20150506

David Letterman Says Goodbye: Inside Rolling Stone's New Issue

Late-night legend opens up about leaving his show and looks back at a groundbreaking, sometimes tumultuous career

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/dav ... z3ZOJGMgnt
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

thanks for all the funny memories and some pretty good in depth interviews :clap:
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.
Dave

Re: I'm gonna miss Letterman!

Post by Dave »

He is one of the true originals in television and the one and only true heir to Johnny. He crossed so many lines so many times -- sometimes subtly, sometimes very blatantly -- but rarely when it wasn't warranted. I watched the very first episode of his morning show the same week I quit college and I've tried to watch every episode of all three shows ever since. I even tried to write for him a few times when I lived in NYC but it didn't work out (I gave up too quick like with everything else). Dave has basically been the one and only constant throughout my entire adult life. His leaving is not like any other for me -- it is a real life change. I'm going to miss him like I miss a close friend or relative who has passed on. Lots of folks never warmed up to him (including most of the women in my life) but no one can deny that he really did change television and launched many careers. And he had a hell of a band. And he had a great quote about Richard: "To fully appreciate the power of Richard Pryor as a stand-up comedian, you had to follow him at the Comedy Store. I did once, and I'm lucky to be alive." Yeah, I'm gonna miss him, too. Muchly.
Keep some sunshine on your face.
tamra
Pryor's Planet Volunteer Extraordinaire

Re: I'm gonna miss Letterman!

Post by tamra »

well said!! the one constant in my life as well. some days were shitty, some days good, but always good to turn on Letterman every night and end it with a laugh. I can't believe this IS the final week. wow. :(
---
huh? what? who? damn, I'm always the last to know.