Robert Townsend

Discussions about comedians and comedy in general go here.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
LKizzle

Robert Townsend

Post by LKizzle »

Robert Townsend, a very great talent, is very underated. When folks talk about comics, this guys name never comes up. Why do you think so.
mojones

Re: Robert Townsend

Post by mojones »

LKizzle,

I don't know why exactly. When I think of Townsend, I think of Hollywood Shuffle and his groundbreaking cable series "Partners in Crime." I suspect the same holds true for others as well. I can't recall ever seeing Townsend do stand up. Did he have any HBO specials, Premium Blend or anything like that? All I can remember are his variety shows. Still, that's no excuse to ignore the man. I would love to have his success...
Jennifer
White Honkey Bitch In Charge

Post by Jennifer »

mojones,
love Townsend...also one of the nicest peopel you'll ever meet!
Mentagasm

Post by Mentagasm »

Jennifer,
One of Chi-town's Finest baby....
True fans of his know the real story....helluva comic, great director.
I hope I get to meet him one day.
Peace,
and keep laughin its good for ya!
aifolife

Post by aifolife »

LKizzle,

You are right.Robert Townsend is a very underrated actor and director.My favorite movie of his definitely has to be the Five Heartbeats.
Anditsdeeptoo

Post by Anditsdeeptoo »

aifolife,

Five Heartbeats was great but Hollywood Shuffle is a all time classic.

Post by Money Shot »

mojones,

I actually remember seeing a special around 1987 that highlighted some up and coming black standups at the time that was produced by (get ready to boo, people) Eddie Murphy, and Townsend was one of them. Most of the performers on that special actually went on to experience a great amount of success. I know Townsend and Chris Rock (YOUNG Chris Rock.....pre-SNL when he still had his jheri-curl; remember this was the same year he was in "Beverly Hills Cop 2") were two of the performers and I think Damon Wayans might've been another (at least one person from In Living Color; if it wasn't Damon, it had to have been Tommy Davidson). It's been so long since I've seen it. All I remember was that it came on HBO.
LKizzle

Post by LKizzle »

Money Shot,

That special produced by Eddie Murphy sounds pretty good. Robert Townsed, Chris Rock and Damon Wayans and Tommy Davidson. Do you think their is a copy floating aroung some place.
Money Shot

Post by Money Shot »

LKizzle,

I remember renting it on tape from Blockbuster when I was living in South Florida back in the early '90s. I'm pretty sure it's available somewhere.
Murphdogg
Foot Kisser

Post by Murphdogg »

Money Shot,I remeber chris rocks set over all the people on that show...his bit on what he'd do if he ever won a grammy "first of all these are the people I don' want to thank" was classic..Arsenio Hall was on that one as well
Shane God Damned Murphy

shanescomedy.com