bob geldof

Politics, religion, racism, sex, the weather... there's always lots to think about so there's always lots to talk about. Progressive ideas are encouraged but all opinions are welcome.

Moderators: bingolong, Jennifer, tamra

Forum rules
Spam is not allowed. All spammers will be blocked and reported to appropriate agencies.
paul

bob geldof

Post by paul »

i was just wondering did anyone here hear of this man? he has done great work on behalf of africa ( if you ever heard of live aid ) and hell be hosting 20 year anniversaries of these concerts again next month ) good on ye bob!
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Re: bob geldof

Post by bingolong »

paul,
Oh yeah definitely heard of him but it is weird b/c it's seems like only yesterday he did that "This Is Christmas Song" or whatever.After all those events it seemed like he kind of of faded to the background and now 20 years have passed and he has gotten old....Wow how time flies!!!
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
JTF
XXX

Post by JTF »

bingolong,

You mean Band Aid's [/i]Do They Know It's Christmas?[/i]

My favorite line:

[/i]And tonight thank God it's them, instead of you.[/i]

Dear God,

Thank you for starving those fucking africans instead of the white people like me.

Sincerely,

A White Person

:lol:
paul

Post by paul »

JTF,
well j u may find it funny but at least it was brought to ur attention
bingolong
King of the Smilies

Post by bingolong »

JTF,
Yep thats it I was getting it confused with another Christmas song from that era that had a soft/alt rck sound to it.....[/i]"......So This is Christmas..."[/i]You remeber the one I am talking about?
I went to Zimbabwe. I know how white people feel in America now; relaxed! Cause when I heard the police car I knew they weren't coming after me! 
hellifiknow

Post by hellifiknow »

bingolong,
wasn't that John and Yoko?
"boy, go get me something to beat your ass with" RP
JTF
XXX

Post by JTF »

bingolong,

Thay Lennon song [/i]Happy Xmas (War Is Over)[/i] was 1971. Band Aid was '84.

The starvation in Africa was already in the news. I happened to be 12 then, and unfortunatly at 12 I could do little. The cash that was raised by the[/i]We Are The World[/i] type records did nothing but sit in executives pockets. This is truly a sad world, where one man makes money off another's misery.
Mister Gee

Post by Mister Gee »

JTF,

I don't know, I've always liked Bob Geldof, I think that his heart is is the right place. He may be seen by some as an egomaniac, but at least he gets the job done. As I mentioned in another post, African politics is complexed, so there is no "One-shot" cure. At least Bob uses his position to draw focus to an easily forgotten problem.

Besides any charity leader who loses his temper on international TV and shouts "Just give us your Fucking money!!" has definitely got my vote! ;)

Peace gee
JTF
XXX

Post by JTF »

Mister Gee,

I'm not saying it was him. There are bigger fish in the sea...
dougdigitalpro

Post by dougdigitalpro »

JTF,
I just always thought he was kooky as hell in "The Wall".
The man with no eyebrows! :lol:

I've also held animonsity towards because it's been said he was the cause of the lead singer from INXS to commit suicide.
It was typical baby mama drama I read. They were a cool ass 80's band fo shizzle!
An artist who
plans to change the game and free minds!